8.23.2010

Cucumber Mint Salad

I know. Two mint salad recipes in a row. It's a bit much. And if I am going to be completely honest, I will tell you that I have quite a few more salad recipes where mint plays a star role. I guess I am really smitten with mint. Especially during the summer.

And also, when I have an herb in the fridge, I have to use all of it. I certainly can't let it go to waste. Nope. I have a real aversion to letting any food in my fridge go to waste.
I will invent the strangest recipes just to save food from becoming wasted.

But this recipe is not strange. It is actually really, really tasty. And really, very easy. Once you whip it together, and see how just how very tasty and easy it is, you will probably add it to your recipe repetoire, and use it more often then you may suspected.

I actually cannot take credit for this recipe. It belongs to my father. My father, an amazing cook, has a true affinity for creating simple and delicious dishes. It always amazed me as a child, how he was able to grab just a little of this and a bit of that, and then feed us an amazing meal. And it still amazes me. But now I am old enough to make mental notes of his activities in kitchen, and then follow suit in my own. I am sure that many more of his recipes may surface on this blog.

This salad is perfect for this time of year. It is incredibly refreshing, and serves as a great accompaniment to many dishes. I have eaten it with falafel, as well as with grilled lamb sausage. I think it works great with any grilled meal actually.

And the nice thing with this recipe, is that there are so many little variations, that you really can whip it together at any time, so long as you have something to improvise with, and cucumbers.

...........................................................................................................................................
Cucumber mint salad 

1 cucumber, peeled, quartered and chopped
1 sprig of mint, leaves chopped
1/2 of a red onion, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
In a big bowl, mix all of your ingredients. Let the salad rest for at least fifteen minutes. This allows the cucumbers to release some of its water, which adds the right consistency when mixed with the sour cream. You can substitute the sour cream for yogurt, though I like the tang of the sour cream so I would recommend maybe just mixing the two. If you can get cream fraiche, use that, it's even better. Also, if you are not a fan of mint, you can substitute with parsley. And the red onion can be replaced with any onion type bulb. Then eat, and enjoy!