8.18.2010

Cool Fruit Salad - A la Emmaline

 Can you possibly think of a better fate for summer fruit than as a salad. Simple, evoking the fruits natural sweetness, highlighting their peak flavors.  When I was a kid, I thought fruit salads were boring. Man was I wrong. Fruit salads are amazing, and I love them. I want it for breakfast, and after dinner. (I seem to do that a lot though, eat the same thing over, and over, and over again. A little obsessive I suppose.)

But back to fruit salad. Another great thing about them; they are so easy to make. All you have to do is a little chop, chop, chop... mix ... and then wait for the flavors to deepen.
This salad has the addition of mint to make it just that much more refreshing on a hot summer day. That is thanks to my dear friend, Emmaline, who is a total Genius in the kitchen.


In my fruit Salad I used fruit I had gotten from Farm Fresh Miami which included plums, pluots, and nectarines. I also threw in some blueberries I had going to waste in the fridge. But you can use whatever fruit you have on hand. Just make sure it's a fresh summer fruit.

.................................................................................................................................
Cool Fruit Salad
2 cups chopped fruit (I used 3 plums, 1 pluot, and 1 nectarine)
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 - 1 tablespoon sugar
1 spring worth of mint leaves, chopped
Combine all the ingredients in a large summery bowl. Let sit at room temperature for 15-25 minutes. Then, eat. You will notice that a nice syrup has developed in the bottom of the bowl from the fruit juice, lemon juice and sugar. Don't let it go to waste, it's really good. Enjoy!