10.20.2010

First pumpkin recipe of the season - Soup!

I love pumpkin soup. I am not sure if I always have, but it sure feels like it. I love it curried, plain, or straight from a box. I think it's one of the greatest soups there is. Really, I cannot think of something much better to do with a pumpkin than to make it into a soup (or a carriage.)

And to be honest, I never really stick to the same pumpkin soup recipe, I just sort of wing it every time, and every time I am happy. But this time, I was especially pleased. So pleased that I had to make note of the recipe. Because this pumpkin soup recipe has quite a bit of depth to it. The flavor doesn't just stop at pumpkin,
it has hints, and undertones of thyme, leeks and parsley. 



And with toasted pumpkin seeds to top it off, I am sure I will be making this soup again very, very soon.


















........................................................................................................
French Pumpkin Soup
adapted from The Cook and The Gardener



1 medium pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
(reserve the seeds for the toppings)
3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium leek, cleaned & chopped reserving one of the tough outer green leaves for the bouqet garni
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 cup of wine
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of garlic
3 springs of thyme, plus extra for sprinkling on the seeds
4-5 cups water
1 cup milk
Salt & Pepper


In a large pot, heat 2 Tbs Oil, add the leeks and cook until soft. In the mean time, make the bouquet garni. Place the herbs in the reserved leek leaf, and wrap with kitchen twine, or attach with tooth picks. Add the garlic to the pot, and cook until fragrant. Add the bouquet garni and allow to cook for about two minutes. Add the cup of wine, and cook until just about 3 Tbs remains, about 10-15 minutes. At this point you can add the pumpkin and the water. Make sure the water covers all the pumpkin and then some. Allow to cook until soft, about 35-40 minutes. 
In the mean time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On a prepared cookie sheet, season the pumpkin seeds with thyme, salt, garlic power, and drizzle with oil. Cook until lightly golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Back to the pot, once the pumpkin is soft, remove the bouquet garni, and purree the soup. I do this with an immersion blender, but you can use a food processor or blender. Return to the pot and add the milk. If the consistency is too think, add a bit more water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with the seasoned pumpkin seeds and enjoy!