6.13.2010

A Simple Start.

Three bean salad.

I had never heard of it until a friend took me to an independent sandwhich shop where they accompany their wraps with a small serving of it on the side. While the wrap was good, I would have gladly given it up for ten more servings of their three bean salad. For a little salad, it sure packed a hit of flavor. Summer flavors. It awakened and refreshed.

I had to have more. A lot more.

And since going back to Limoni (the sandwich shop) for every meal was not an option, I set to work in the kitchen with a pile of beans. A little tinkering...omit the vinegar, squeeze of lime, a bit more, cilantro garnish, dash of salt, and I got it. Oh sweet heaven, i'm in love.


I am not certain that it is the same salad I first sampled. But I am certain that it is delicious, and madly addictive. And that everyone I mention it to asked for the recipe, and then become addicted as well. Then it spread to their family and friends. A small phenomena that swept my world.

I must admit, I really did eat this three times a day. For at least four days straight. And then downgraded to 1-2 times a day for the next three weeks. So if you decide to make it, I suggest you stock up on a lot of beans, so you can quickly whisk together another batch when low.





..................................................................................

Three Bean Salad
Feel free to use any three beans of your fancy, i just like to have a variation in color and size. This salad will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, though it normally does not last that long.

1 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed
1 15 oz. can of kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1-2 limes
3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (enough to speckle the salad throughout)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the three beans, red onion, and celery.
Squeeze one to two limes over the bean mixture. If the lime has a lot of juice, one will suffice, if not, use the second. You can never really put too much lime in this salad.

Drizzle with the olive oil and salt. Mix, then add the cilantro.
Cover and allow to sit for one hour. This is crucial as the beans will soak up the flavor of the onion, lime and cilantro making it, oh, so good.
Enjoy!